There was a time, not so long ago that I wasn’t a fan of Sundays.
In our former life, Sundays meant sleeping off the late Friday and Saturday nights we’d spent out on the town doing who-knows-what… On special occasions (like Mother’s Day or Easter), we’d drag ourselves out of bed and do our best to pull it together and sit through church, mostly to please my folks. (Sorry, mom and dad… Remember that whole “let’s be honest” thing?)
Sunday now is my favorite day of the week… It’s the day that Brad and I go to bed early on Saturday nights for, so that we can wake up refreshed and ready to join our church family in worship. It’s the day that we make every effort to leave open so that we can spend it together and with friends and family.
When I take the time to reflect upon our “former life”, I find that I’m drawn to my knees to thank God that He opened our eyes to all the time we were wasting, selfishly focusing on us instead of Him. On one hand, it makes me so sad and just really embarrassed. On the other, it makes me so very aware of what a valuable thing retrospect is.
There’s very little that’s good about the time that we chose to not live for our Savior, but the truth is that if we hadn’t been there, we might never have gotten here. And, let me tell you, friends – here is a pretty great place to be! I am absolutely convinced that knowing Jesus Christ and growing spiritually is far more exciting than any alternative.
I used to think that the words to “Amazing Grace” were grossly overused, but they’re just so beautiful and so TRUE!
“Amazing Grace, How Sweet The Sound That Saved A WRETCH Like Me….”
I often find myself awestruck when I really spend some time thinking about God sacrificing His Son’s Life for me. I was a WRETCH! In fact, I still am… And yet, there’s no limit to His mercy and His grace.
Wow… Let me jump down from my soapbox and fill you in on a few awesome answers to prayer in regards to the adoption (oh, is that what this blog is about?) that came to be over the weekend.
1. As I mentioned in my last post, we chose a home study agency and will be submitting our application tomorrow.
2. The furniture we had advertised on Craigslist sold today – for asking price!
3. We now have a handful of people registered for the coupon class – still a very small amount, but we trust that, God willing, more people will sign up soon! (*ahem* hint, hint…)
4. A few friends offered up donations for the garage sale that will be coming up within the next several weeks. (We had to postpone originally, due to lack of donations.)
5. I officially booked my first housecleaning appointment!
6. We (almost) have enough money set aside to pay for the entire home study!
God is always good. I know that it’s easy to say that now, because of all the great things that have transpired over the last couple days. But, I know myself and I know how easily I get bummed when things aren’t going as I think they should or want them to go.
I’m a work in progress. I’ve worked hard at changing myself into the person I want to be. Through a great deal of experience, I’m learning that only He can change me. It’s the letting Him part that’s a challenge…
Romans 12:2 “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.”